Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ramon Noodle Slaw

There's been some discussion over the past couple of weeks about the Ramon Noodle Slaw my grandmother use to fix. Remembering Grandma fixing it when she lived accross from Aunt Eileen, my cousin has been craving it. It's been a little frustrating not being able to come up with her exact recipe. It would have been a shame for her to have actually written a few of her recipes down for future generations. But her philosophy was always "if you want to know how to make it then I suggest you come watch me fix it".

The best I've come up with is the following:

Boil 2C Vinegar, 2C Sugar, 1/2C Oil (we use Olive). Add to it 1/2 packet of Chicken Ramon Noodle seasoning. Allow the dressing to cool completely (make up night before and store in fridge).

Break noodles up and brown these along with 1 small package of slivered almonds in approx 2T butter over medium heat. Set aside.

Pour cooled dressing over 1 package of shredded cabbage. Allow this to sit for at least 1 hour. Toss with browned noodles/almonds prior to serving.

If you know this recipe and think I've left something out be sure to let me know! I'm a big onion fan so I add a few onions to it. I don't think Grandma added sunflower seeds but I've seen them added to a recipe similar to this.

3 comments:

  1. I have a great recipe for this, but it also has chicken. I will get it to you very soon! So Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this picture.. that recipe looks good and I think I might add this to my Thanksgiving dinner!
    Take care

    Yaya

    ReplyDelete