Friday, April 8, 2011

I planted a garden and the parents lost their roof!

This is the location I choose to plant the garden. I/we planted potatoes, lettuce, spinach, chives, yellow & white onions, rhubarb & asparagus - wish the later two would be harvest-able this year, hopefully by next year :(

Early next month I can plant tomatoes, peppers, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, carrots, corn, squash & broccoli. May try a few pumpkins too!


Oh, I also have basil, cilantro & oregano to plant.

Dad tilling the ground. We're pretty sure Walter (previous home owner) had a strawberry patch where I'm putting the garden.


All the seeds waiting to be planted.


Johnathon planting lettuce - I'm ready for some wilted lettuce, hope it grows quickly.


Sunday (all day long) we had massive winds blowing through here. On the registered meters they clocked them at 68 mph. I'm pretty sure we had gust for well over an hour that were stronger than that. My parents barn isn't the only one in the "country" with damage similar to this. I'm standing in the barn looking up here:


The winds died down some but where strong again on Wednesday when I took this picture.


A barn in a small town south of us crumbled, literally, in the high winds. It too was over 100 years old and it has the same roofing as my parents, now I just need to figure out who owns the pile of ruins so I can see if they'll sell some of the roofing.


Well, time for me to get going, have a 1-year old birthday party to get to followed by Prom pictures for four couples in Benton. After the photo session I'm heading to Rural King to get more gardening tools and a few more seeds too! Hope you have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment